Saturday, June 11, 2016

So, it's about 15 days before I get on a plane over to Japan!
I was chosen this January to be the Citizen Diplomat between Iowa and Kofu. I am SO grateful to the Iowa Sister States program and the Japanese government who sponsor this scholarship every year.
I will be studying at Yamanashi Prefectural University in Kofu, while also running a research program.
My name is Katherine (Kate) Shaw, and I am a 19 year old female with type one diabetes. I was diagnosed when I was 5 years old and have lived with it for almost 15 years now. I have an older sister and two younger brothers, as well as my mom and dad.
I am in my final semester at DMACC in Des Moines, where I will graduate with an Associates Degree in Japanese Healthcare Interpretation and Translation. I have been studying Japanese for about 6 years now and couldn't go on the class trip to Japan a few years ago, so this is a dream come true for me.
I will be studying Japanese law and nursing at University. My research project is looking into how the implementation of permanent businesses showcasing transgender culture (places like cosplay cafes and cross-dressing cafes) have affected the acceptance levels of transgender people in the surrounding areas.
So far, I have gotten a passport (this will be my first trip out of country), a visa (since I am staying for 10 months), and the yakkan shoumei (which is the medication form that needs to be filled out in order to bring my medication to Japan).
I will be updating very frequently, with all kinds of fun and crazy stuff that I run into on my trip!
See you later!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment